This project currently is waiting for a game developer with some time at hand. See this thread.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed 20. Sep 2017, 03:58



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Planning: Dev Milestones 
Author Message
Passenger
User avatar

Joined: Tue 17. Nov 2015, 11:41
Posts: 40
Location: Budapest, Hungary
TZoli wrote:
Widget system???

Until know I managed to collect the following widgets we will need:
  • Frame; can be fix sized or auto sized, can have border ornaments that are generated automatically; used on the map UI, at the cities, tool tips etc.
  • Button; can be image or text button, can have mouseover and onclick properties for highlighting; used on map UI and on the trading UI
  • Label; for short text; used in the tool tips and on the UI for example
  • Scrollable text field; for long text; for journal, library etc
  • Scrollable image bar with reorder function for the train map


Wed 13. Jan 2016, 18:52
Profile
Passenger
User avatar

Joined: Tue 17. Nov 2015, 11:41
Posts: 40
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Yesterday was the last planned day of milestone 2. I postponed some widget related ticket because I have not finished planning the widget systems yet.

Kone, have you managed to progress with the save related stuff?


Sat 16. Jan 2016, 08:37
Profile
Passenger

Joined: Mon 7. Dec 2015, 19:21
Posts: 6
I wanted to try out the new milesone and warm myself at the boiler fire in these snowy days.

So I downloaded the current snapshot from the Sourceforge repository. Of course I didn't have the Cocos2d and the Pyglet frameworks installed. So I downloaded these and wanted to install them. For that I also needed the setuptools. I downloaded them, but didn't manage to install them right away. Then I lost heart and, frankly, also my interest in the snapshot.

Will players of the (final) Transarctica remake also have to jump through these hoops aor will there be an easy install package? I'm not sure that everyone is willing to install a lot of stuff before getting to play the remake. At least the original works out of the (DOS) Box.


Thu 21. Jan 2016, 07:33
Profile
Passenger
User avatar

Joined: Tue 17. Nov 2015, 11:41
Posts: 40
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Oun Fouge wrote:
I wanted to try out the new milesone and warm myself at the boiler fire in these snowy days.

So I downloaded the current snapshot from the Sourceforge repository. Of course I didn't have the Cocos2d and the Pyglet frameworks installed. So I downloaded these and wanted to install them. For that I also needed the setuptools. I downloaded them, but didn't manage to install them right away. Then I lost heart and, frankly, also my interest in the snapshot.

Will players of the (final) Transarctica remake also have to jump through these hoops aor will there be an easy install package? I'm not sure that everyone is willing to install a lot of stuff before getting to play the remake. At least the original works out of the (DOS) Box.

Very good point. Code can be reorganized to contain Pyglet and Cocos saving you the effort to install them. This way our code will need only a Python 3.5 to run it. I created a ticket for this and will do it ASAP as it requires only minimal effort.

I think final version may be compiled to an exe for Windows users so even Python installation will not be necessary. (Linux distros these days are already shipped with Python 3 preinstalled, though Python 2.x is still the default on them, as far as I know.)


Thu 21. Jan 2016, 11:07
Profile
Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun 17. Mar 2013, 11:31
Posts: 424
Location: Hajdúszoboszló. Hungary
Oun Fouge wrote:
I wanted to try out the new milesone and warm myself at the boiler fire in these snowy days.

So I downloaded the current snapshot from the Sourceforge repository. Of course I didn't have the Cocos2d and the Pyglet frameworks installed. So I downloaded these and wanted to install them. For that I also needed the setuptools. I downloaded them, but didn't manage to install them right away. Then I lost heart and, frankly, also my interest in the snapshot.

Will players of the (final) Transarctica remake also have to jump through these hoops aor will there be an easy install package? I'm not sure that everyone is willing to install a lot of stuff before getting to play the remake. At least the original works out of the (DOS) Box.


It is pre alfa, stage so you can't except a full workable software, if it is still in development. Of course you need all kind of tools to run it. So be patient.


Thu 21. Jan 2016, 11:11
Profile WWW
Passenger
User avatar

Joined: Tue 17. Nov 2015, 11:41
Posts: 40
Location: Budapest, Hungary
You are both right. As TZoli said it is not a workable software. You can make it move a bit for you, though it will hardly resemble the game.

I made the required libraries available and wrote a step by step guide how to start up the current code.


Thu 21. Jan 2016, 19:08
Profile
Passenger

Joined: Mon 7. Dec 2015, 19:21
Posts: 6
Gridranger wrote:
I made the required libraries available and wrote a step by step guide how to start up the current code.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks. But what a lot of requirements! I'm not going to install an IDE, for example, which I won't use for anyting else than building a pre-alpha snapshot.

But it's certainly a good idea to think about how the final product will be made available, so the effort isn't wasted.

TZoli wrote:
So be patient.

Patience seems to be the principal virtue in this forum.

I just wanted to have a look what the current game idea looks like. The forum and the Sourceforge page are public, so I was curious.

This forum has been up for nearly three years now. I think I have read all the posts and I have no idea where this project is going. There doesn't seem to be a clear vision, neither what the new Transarctica should look like nor who should do what.

As far as I can tell, the first goal is to remake the original Transarctica, but with modern technology. Apparantly, TZoli has reproduced the maps, but the snapshot is only a showcase of a small map with two cities? There have been investigations into rail gauges, carriage weights and enemy train behaviour. Is this data being used? The main problem seems to be that everyone waits for approval from the project leader Konemaster. Konemaster started the project, but his vision is blurry. (Advanced tech tree? Nuclear powered trains? Really?) He is eager to rope in more people on the project, but he doesn't provide direction. Maybe he has his own plans, but as is, the project seems to be hanging in the air. (And that's the big problem: The project is semi-public and everyone can see that it stalls.)

I'm sorry, that sounds a bit discouraging. So maybe a bit of encouragement is in order. In a recent Rock Paper Shotgun article on Final Station, a post-apocalytical train game, a commenter notes:

Michael Fogg wrote:
It’s high time sometime remads Transarctica


In another article about Fear Equation, where the player drives a train through a dream-haunting mist, there is this comment:

Alberto wrote:
Also: please, someone re-do Transartica. Pretty please.


So people out there are waiting for a remake of Transarctica. Go for it.


Fri 22. Jan 2016, 07:43
Profile
Passenger
User avatar

Joined: Tue 17. Nov 2015, 11:41
Posts: 40
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Quote:
Wow, that was fast. Thanks. But what a lot of requirements! I'm not going to install an IDE, for example, which I won't use for anyting else than building a pre-alpha snapshot.

You have to do only the fist 4 bullet points. The ones under the "Step by step guide to start the pre alpha game". Do not mind the IDE part as you do not want to develop.
Quote:
Patience seems to be the principal virtue in this forum.

Yes. If we would have more developers in the team, progress would be faster. I can work only 5-8 hours per week on the development.
Quote:
This forum has been up for nearly three years now. I think I have read all the posts and I have no idea where this project is going. There doesn't seem to be a clear vision, neither what the new Transarctica should look like nor who should do what.

Note, that our code base is born only 2 months ago from scratch! Considering the work done, we did not waste the time.
Vision: we all know how should it work - like the original. How should the game look like (besides better than the original) is a harder question, as we have no tile set artist currently, but putting the final graphics into the game is nearly the last step as unfortunately most artists see to much risk for working a project that is far from the finish.
Quote:
Apparantly, TZoli has reproduced the maps, but the snapshot is only a showcase of a small map with two cities?

Size of the map and amount of cities is irrelevant in this stage of development. I tested the whole map and it is handled fine. We need the final map nothing besides that at the moment. As soon as a new game / loading option will be available, you can pick the map you would like to see. I consider it as a cosmetic addition currently.
Keep in mind that sharing the code is not meant for playing but to make team work possible. But currently we are short on developers. To be honest, I'm coding alone. I must say it is not easy to keep things going this way. Sometimes I think I should dump the project, but it seems if I do not make it, no one will and I want to play it :D
Quote:
There have been investigations into rail gauges, carriage weights and enemy train behaviour. Is this data being used?

Not yet, but early data gathering is important, if we do not want waste time for refactoring parts of the code, because some info that changes that part was found after implementation.
Quote:
The main problem seems to be that everyone waits for approval from the project leader Konemaster.

We do not wait for him. I would appreciate if he would help me in the development, but he seems to have too few time for that. Though they do not take part in the development, TZoli and Ornicar is great help as they find out the game behavior so wan can make a specification that we can build on. The info you shared was a great help too!

Thanks for your opinion and for the encouragement! :)


Fri 22. Jan 2016, 10:17
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.