This project currently is waiting for a game developer with some time at hand. See this thread.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun 23. Sep 2018, 20:47

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Game FAQ 
Administrator

Please feel free to contribute / discuss / add questions.

So what is Transarctica Remake?
Transarctica is an old game from 1993 featuring one of the most compelling mixes of genre-typical gameplay features ever.
Basically you are playing as the captain of a train in a post-apocalyptical, frozen world and you need to survive aswell as to reveal some secrets.

What is the actual status? When will the first release be?
Actually we are in pre-alpha stage right now and we can not give any serious date, sorry!
We work hard to deliver a working prototype, after this we will maybe know more.

What is the vision of the remake? WHY do you do it?
There is no other game using real time strategy in a similar setting and with this 'feeling' to it.
Also with movies currently being produced which are based on the same books as Transarctica was, we just know that this setting is even more popular than ever.
The vision is to remake this game as close as possible - without the bugs and limitations of the original version.
After that we are open for every suggestion to extend this unique gameplay. (link)

What is the Story?
It was Mankind's last attempt to solve the progressed Greenhouse effect which went wrong, terribly wrong and resulted in a New Ice Age. The world is frozen, there is a big layer of clouds above the earth. Mankind has fled into several big towns and the only way of transportation are really huge trains connecting the cities and keeping them alive.
The track network is controlled by the Viking Union which will do everything possible to keep the power.
Also Mammoths are back and giant wolves too! If you meet them - be prepared!
You are a religious activist and you steal the most advanced train every build. Driven by your believe that the sun can shine again you roam the lands, trade with cities, fight other viking union trains and try to unravel the mystery of the sun.

So what do you DO - gameplay-wise?
First you need to stay alive: If the coal in your train runs empty you will die of death from exposure. You need money (actually another form of coal) to buy new wagons, upgrade your train to be able to withstand the ever increasing attacks by the viking union. You don't need to fight: you can have a light train and outrun them or you have a sneaky train and sabotage them. Or... you know, you have a battle-train and just destroy them from afar.
You can get money also from coal mines (farming) which open once in a while for a time being in the world. Be there quick and you get the most. Have slaves, mammoths, cranes and tenders to get even more coal.
You can trade goods - for some of which you need special wagons.
You need to combine different information and seek for (explore) hidden mysteries to solve the question of how to get the sun back shining.

How ist Transarctica Remake any different from the original game?
We will first try to recreate as much of the original game with some slight enhancements which were not really possible with the technology of when the game came out. See this thread (link).
After this, Transarctica Remake v2.0 at this time is very open for every idea. See this thread (link).

What are the system requirements? Which platforms are supported?
Transarctica Remake should run on many platforms since the underlying framework is truly portable.
However, we will focus on PC (Windows/Linux) and Android first,
MAC and iOS will be added later.

I had a look and it looks more comic-like (but based on the original drawings) than the original game. What gives?
First: We do like the new look since it underlines the game's uniqueness.
As we do have a extensive mod support we can deliver true photorealism as an update later.

How can someone contribute - do you need any help?
Yes - we can definitely use some more people to properly pull this off in a short timeframe.
See this link to see what things we need done currently. (link)

Have you considered turning to Kickstarter to help fund the game to have more ressources?
Yes - we are currently evaluating a Kickstarter campaign - but to be honest this will mean very much work, added publicity which you need to manage properly and we don't know how many fans of the original game are out there and willing to chime in some bucks.

Mon 25. Mar 2013, 11:26
Profile WWW
Contributor

Story fix:
It was Mankind's last attempt to solve the Greenhouse effect which went wrong, terribly wrong and resulted in a New Ice Age.

So it is a plausible and frightening future!!!

Mon 25. Mar 2013, 11:58
Profile WWW
Administrator

TZoli wrote:
Story fix:
It was Mankind's last attempt to solve the Greenhouse effect which went wrong, terribly wrong and resulted in a New Ice Age.
So it is a plausible and frightening future!!!

Very nice, thank you!
Fixed.

Mon 25. Mar 2013, 12:02
Profile WWW
Administrator

I've added some questions and answers in the first post.

Tue 26. Mar 2013, 11:30
Profile WWW
Passenger

I guess this is not the right topic for this, but I have to say few words...

Guys, let me introduce myself. My name is Milan, and I am lets say, one of the biggest fans of this game.

I have been here few times.

First time, I almost cried when I saw my favorite Amiga 500 game being in the process of remaking. At first I was a bit skeptical, but once I saw that you two are really serious about this, I was very happy!

Transarctica really deserves a remake, and what team is better to do this, than guys who obviously love the game. I am sure there are many more (older) guys who love the game also, but simply did not have a chance to see this site.

I even spoke to few people online (on YT) about some parts of the game where I was stuck, some of those guys have videos of playing the game and those videos have lots of views...

Just wanted to say, please dont give up on this. If nothing I will be here to help spread the word, or to test something, or to give my thought. It is not much, but at least I got some experience from the original game, and most importantly, I LOVE the game.

Best,
Milan

Sat 21. Mar 2015, 13:13
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]