This project currently is waiting for a game developer with some time at hand. See this thread.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun 23. Sep 2018, 20:11

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 This is just GREAT !!! 
Passenger

Transarctica is one of my favorite old games..
Actually I had the idea of making a remake myself, but being no artist whatsoever I resigned...

However I am an experienced C++ coder, and I wrote some games in the past.. and still do as a hobby..
So If I can help in any way, please let me know.

some tips:

- C++ is FAST ! and there are a lot of good and free libs for game programming

- consider using the great ALLEGRO 5 game programming lib...
it has everything you could possibly ever need.. sprites, sound, music, events, font, primitives, pathmanager, compression, multithreading, 2D, 3D you name it

- building a fast tile engine with C++ and Allegro is a piece of cake, I do have code for this handy ( and a lot of "in the field tested" game engine code too)

yours sincerely
Edwin Martens

fotograaf@edwinmartens.nl

Wed 4. Dec 2013, 09:13
Contributor

As far as I know the game is developed in Java (correct me if I'm wrong @ kone ;))

Thu 5. Dec 2013, 21:39
Profile ICQ
Passenger

Java is evil :twisted:

Fri 6. Dec 2013, 10:32
Administrator

Edwin wrote:
Java is evil :twisted:

A very special warm welcome to the forums, my new best friend. :D :lol:
(I didn't write to the forums for some time now, sorry.)

Your suggestion and your offer is superb!
The only problem is that I'am using Python right now but on the other hand I'm not really that far in development.
(Shame on me!)

As I see it we have the following options since we are not on the same coding-side:
  • 1. Engine in C++: Go ahead and develop as you please
    We will try to get stuff ready which you can use.
    You can ask us about what we think you should do if you have questions but in the end it would be your development.
    (With the exception of when you would commit to some stuff we will make up before we start.)
    I sense some urgency in the 'should we keep this game SERIOUS' question for example. :D
    However, this point could be the fastest way of getting some results. :o :)
  • 2. Two Engines, one asset-base
    We would need to agree on some file formats which our engines should be able to read.
    The world map file for instance and the ressource packs and the available quests.
    This yields the most work on the spec side but could turn out pretty interesting.
    Also if one of the DEVs is hindered *cough cough* :mrgreen: the overall progress won't be slowed so much.
  • 3. Developing together
    This would be the highest amount of work overall but we would be 2 DEVs then.
    Maybe we could also split the work in two parts (and load the Python Interpreter at startup too :lol: ).
    We could separate (for instance) the graphic engine from the game logic.
    We would need to agree on a good interface between those two game components.

If you think there are other options, let me know! :P

I don't really know on how to succeed.
I can't estimate my capability to put work into this project for the next months right now so that would be an open point aswell. :oops:

Fri 6. Dec 2013, 20:17
Profile WWW
Contributor

Quote:
Java is evil

As a PHP developer (and I think you also don't like this language :D) I agree with you.

The entire game could even be developed using web technology like HTML5, Canvas, SVG and lots of JavaScript :D

Fri 6. Dec 2013, 22:30
Profile ICQ
Administrator

Scarabaeus wrote:
Quote:
The entire game could even be developed using web technology like HTML5, Canvas, SVG and lots of JavaScript :D

I thought long about this!
But I couldn't find a good and stable framework to develop HTML5 games in last time I looked. :?

Sat 7. Dec 2013, 10:53
Profile WWW
Contributor

Quote:
But I couldn't find a good and stable framework to develop HTML5 games in last time I looked.

Mostly all frameworks which are build for building HTML5 games are for isometric 2D games. The only framework I'd use is jQuery to speed up JavaScript development and AJAX interactions with the server. The only things that might be hard to do are the train fights, especially the AI behavior, and the tile engine which could be solved through an extremly large multidimensional array, or in case of JavaScript, an extremly large JSON string.

Mostly every other thing could be done with intervals (you know: window.setInterval(4000,'someFunction()')) like subtracting coal from your depot while you shoveling or even moving the train across the map. The single screens like trading, building brigdes, etc. could be done with more or less some simple HTML screens with some event handlers on buttons.

All I say is I can be done like that but I wouldn't do it because mostly it will end up that I would be the only person doing it (my personal experience) and secondly I got some other more serious problems to attend to in the next weeks.

Sat 7. Dec 2013, 14:36
Profile ICQ
Contributor

A just 4 fun experiment:

http://www.christian-wederka.de/transarctica/index.html

Movement of the trains as well as AI behavior is not implemented. Just refresh the page until you get a machine gun and/or a cannon. And if the cannon is pointed at an enemy wagon, just click on it :D

Sat 7. Dec 2013, 18:52
Profile ICQ
Administrator

Scarabaeus wrote:
A just 4 fun experiment:

http://www.christian-wederka.de/transarctica/index.html

Movement of the trains as well as AI behavior is not implemented. Just refresh the page until you get a machine gun and/or a cannon. And if the cannon is pointed at an enemy wagon, just click on it :D

LOL! Very nice!
Those enemy trains keep respawning no matter how much I shoot them though. :D (I know).

I love how those enemy wagons go down after I shoot them! :mrgreen:
NICE!

Sat 7. Dec 2013, 19:50
Profile WWW
Contributor

Thanks.

I thought calculating a hit with the cannon would be hard but it's pretty easy going if you got the dimensions of the scene and the dimensions of the wagons :D

Source code: http://www.christian-wederka.de/transar ... s/fight.js (Hit logic at the very end)

Sat 7. Dec 2013, 20:13
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next