This project currently is waiting for a game developer with some time at hand. See this thread.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun 23. Sep 2018, 19:37

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 This is just GREAT !!! 
Contributor

Update:

The AI now fires back and I implemented a 3 second reloading time for the player as well as for the AI. Could you please tell me if the AI behavior is OK? Should it fire less with the cannons or even more?

Sat 7. Dec 2013, 22:20
Profile ICQ
Administrator

Thanks for the source code!
It really is a nice idea to loop over every enemy wagon and calculating the projectile path on the fly.
Maybe not the most efficient way but it's not a matter for todays hardware I guess.

I must say I really like your way of coding.
It's clean, clear and even a less educated guy (like me :D ) can read it.
An I like those comments!!
Good work!! :mrgreen:

Maybe we should move to web technology so we could maybe also divide the work into world and train fight areas and with a nice web-platform based IDE we could all work on the code maybe. Hmmm. :idea:

As for the update!
The enemy train killed my tender!! Waaah! :o :shock:
I don't know if it is firing too much or not.
It should be customizable though - maybe through the game difficulty setting or such.

In realism the trains would shoot as fast as they could though.
It would be more like a round based game I think.
I think you would tell your cannon-people to shoot as fast as they can as soon as they see a enemy cannon, machine gun or locomotive in their line of sight and leave everything else intact. :twisted:

Attachments:
trans_html5_ika.jpg
trans_html5_ika.jpg [ 11.32 KiB | Viewed 3953 times ]

Sun 8. Dec 2013, 10:03
Profile WWW
Contributor

Quote:
It really is a nice idea to loop over every enemy wagon and calculating the projectile path on the fly.
Maybe not the most efficient way but it's not a matter for todays hardware I guess.

The other method for such a task (with web based technology) would be to somehow store the positions of the wagons so it doesn't need to be calculated on shot but on the other hand: The trains will move around in a finished fighting engine so the positions have to be updated on the fly which would consume even more computing power. So I think calculating the positions when you or the enemy is actually shooting might be the best approach with web technology.

Quote:
I must say I really like your way of coding.
It's clean, clear and even a less educated guy (like me :D ) can read it.
An I like those comments!!
Good work!! :mrgreen:

The work is done by jQuery and jQuery was developed to speed up JavaScript developement and the readability of the source code. I usually don't share my source codes because I made this once as I was less educated (so the source codes had some serious bugs in it) and some people actually used it in projects. That produced something that lasts in my head since that day.

Quote:
Maybe we should move to web technology [...]

This is your decision. You started the project so you're the boss. I just want to show that even the most complicated part of the game could be done with web technology.

I think the great advantages of web technology is that you're platform independent, you don't need something like a runtime environment on your machine, most modern browsers already use the graphics card to render websites and you can provide some optimized versions for mobile devices as well.

Quote:
[...] so we could maybe also divide the work into world and train fight areas and with a nice web-platform based IDE we could all work on the code maybe. Hmmm.

For those purposes I usually use GitHub but I know this project isn't intended to be OpenSource, so only IF we switch over to web technology we need a private version control system or pay a small fee (7$ per month for 5 private repositorys) to GitHub so we can create private repositorys.

Quote:
I don't know if it is firing too much or not.
It should be customizable though - maybe through the game difficulty setting or such.

Right now there are two loops for the AI actions. A 500ms loop for firing with the cannons with some random numbers so that the AI doesn't fire even if a cannon is ready to fire and a 250ms loop for the machine guns, also with random numbers for the same purpose as for the cannons. These loops could be indeed be modified through the difficulty settings so that the enemy is firing less.

The special thing is that the AI doesn't care about your actions. I know this is unrealistic but if you would send over some soldiers and dropping bombs on the enemy wagons the AI wouldn't care about that. The only goal for the AI is to destroy your train by all means necessary.

I think the original AI did it the same way because it look that way to me if I watch gameplay videos or remembered the days as I played the game myself.

Edit:

Updated the source code. Now with comments for the AI actions.

Sun 8. Dec 2013, 13:23
Profile ICQ
Contributor

I think we should stay away form Web based code except if you want a browser based game on the Transarctica!

A professional game requires a professional coding mechanism. For example Stalker did not made using HTML or XHTML as a base! Of course such language could be used to enhance the mechanics of the game, like what was done for CIV 4 and 5, where they use both C (I assume) and Python! I C done the main programming, calculations etc, while in Python are the scripting like what does the different terrains units and buildings effecst, tech requirements etc!

Either way you guys not even decided what language to start the project (if we ever will...)

Maybe that is one reason why the original developers not contact to us! They don't see any progress and think we are only wasting their time!

Sun 8. Dec 2013, 16:25
Profile WWW
Contributor

Quote:
A professional game requires a professional coding mechanism.
We already talked about that issue in Skype and besides that this ^^^ seems to me like a subliminal message that web developers are no professionals (sorry if I see it that way but this harms my profession I learned), it's up to konemaster to decide.

Sun 8. Dec 2013, 16:46
Profile ICQ
Contributor

Scarabaeus wrote:
Quote:
A professional game requires a professional coding mechanism.
We already talked about that issue in Skype and besides that this ^^^ seems to me like a subliminal message that web developers are no professionals (sorry if I see it that way but this harms my profession I learned), it's up to konemaster to decide.

It's the quality of Web-Browser based games.
What they have? Mostly those farming or space strategy games which are basically text games with pictures included. You wait x hours, minutes, seconds to finish something which then gives some bonus of sort. They store this data on their server and such.
They are nice games in their own sense but nothing compared to hard core games like Galactic Civilizations, C&C and such
Of course there are always exceptions.

Sun 8. Dec 2013, 22:03
Profile WWW
Contributor

I think you don't get the point.

Who says this remake should be like this? I'm talking about a single player game made with web technology. No space, no multiplayer, no waiting time. You play as long as you want until you close the browser window. If you want to save your game: No Problem! Accounts bundled with your save games? No Problem! Difficulty settings? No Problem! I'm talking about bringing the whole experience of this game, a straight 1:1 copy/rebuild/remake/whatever, into the browser.

What do you think my approach with the train fights was about? I don't know the original source code so I had to rebuild it myself. Hell I even built in some of the original graphics in todays evening. The only things left are scrolling the scene with the mouse, train movement and soldiers. If that would be implemented it would be like the original. Do you really think I don't want this remake to be as accurate as the original?

Edit: Oh and by the way: I implemented the player train movements...

Mon 9. Dec 2013, 00:45
Profile ICQ
Administrator

I think I understand you both.

TZoli wrote:
I think we should stay away form Web based code except if you want a browser based game on the Transarctica!
It's the quality of Web-Browser based games.

I know, I know. The most browser games are made with too much speed and without any thinking. Just pump out more games to fill the 'gaming platform' with.
The most games are bad copies of already existant game concepts from classic single player games.

Also there is another feeling when you install an DVD or game from STEAM in contrast to just put in an URL in your everyday browser.
I also have less respect when it's just an URL. :|

The thing is: Technically it's not a matter anymore which language from which platform is making the API calls.
The API of the browsers (and every other modern programming language / runtime environments) nowadays is good enough to run arbitrary stuff.
See this one for Chrome: Extensions and NATIVE CODE.

So it would be possible to bundle a Chrome Browser with your code and you get your SDK and runtime environment for free. :D

There is a C&C in HTML5 here :shock: .

I think, what TZoli wants is the 'feeling' of a full fledged game and none of any ridiculousness. :)
What do you say, TZoli, did I understand your comments right?

Mon 9. Dec 2013, 09:49
Profile WWW
Administrator

Scarabaeus wrote:
Edit: Oh and by the way: I implemented the player train movements...

Very nicely done!
Also some graphics are already there. Sweet! :D

I totally owned the first train I encountered.
Ok, this one just had a machine gun but I destroyed it completely! :D

Mon 9. Dec 2013, 09:52
Profile WWW
Administrator

Tzoli wrote:
Either way you guys not even decided what language to start the project (if we ever will...)

Maybe that is one reason why the original developers not contact to us! They don't see any progress and think we are only wasting their time!

Yes. Now it's more like a tackling. ;)
We are shuffling around the problem (like two boxers, watching the enemy and trying to see where they are vulnerable) and trying to come up with a good solution to the problems we will be facing.
Personally I didn't find a really good way of coding it yet, a way which I would really like.
If we keep shuffling around we will find it, Iam sure.

As for the second part:
I would like to answer this in an extra thread here.

Mon 9. Dec 2013, 10:16
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next