This project currently is waiting for a game developer with some time at hand. See this thread.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun 23. Sep 2018, 20:39

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Obstacles for this remakes developments 
Administrator

I want to answer TZolis comments - it's good to think it through.

TZoli wrote:
Either way you guys not even decided what language to start the project (if we ever will...)

Maybe that is one reason why the original developers not contact to us! They don't see any progress and think we are only wasting their time!

I encountered various obstacles with some being more personal, others not.
  • 1. Since we do not have any answer from the original DEVs I don't have a good feeling to really pursue 100% of the original game. Even if they never say anything (and won't sue :cry: ) it's their work and their gameplay. When they restart Silmarils they have all the rights to claim what is based too much on their work.
  • 2. Thinking about the original game I asked myself what I really like not only in this game. It's the base-building of a rolling base - nice. It's a 'world' map - roaming freely wherever I please. It's the atmosphere and the 'save-the-world' business. It's trains. I like trains :D .
  • 3. Thinking about Trains in general I tried to come up with answers, WHY I do like them. Is it that they are railbound? Somehow. Is it the technology? Of course. Is it the feeling of greatness, moving big cargo or many people? I think yes.
    But what is really behind it all? When developing games you need to find your passion and build a game around it. What is the core of liking this game, liking trains?
    (You know, I also like Spaceships. The (small) space which you need to fill perfectly for your needs. The really free roaming. So to combine it with trains I would need railbound spaceships? Doesn't make any sense. :( )
    I spent much time in watching TV related to trains and steampunk-feeling etc.. Big trains, small trains, model railroads. I do come closer to pin it down. Hopefully in the next days I will have a revelation. :)
  • 4. As for the 'ridiculousness': I really like games which are not taking itself too seriously. Granted, this could be a atmosphere-killer for the original Transarctica. But since there is point 1 there is not really a need in planning for the development of the 100% original game. Of course it can be a milestone but ultimately I want it to be better. More to the core of what I really like in trains and games in general.

I really wished I could explain it any better.
What do you think about this?
Maybe you guys know the answer to my questions? :)

Mon 9. Dec 2013, 10:16
Profile WWW
Contributor

Quote:
Since we do not have any answer from the original DEVs I don't have a good feeling to really pursue 100% of the original game. Even if they never say anything (and won't sue :cry: ) it's their work and their gameplay. When they restart Silmarils they have all the rights to claim what is based too much on their work.

That's why I stick to my free4all mentality. With that I don't harm any company because I do not have a commercial background and I don't want to make money with my hobby.

I know your plan is to sell the finished product and that's the thing that hinders this project.

If you offer them a share on the estimated profits, I think this might sound more lucrative for them and they might agree that we can use their graphics and music and whatever else.

Mon 9. Dec 2013, 10:51
Profile ICQ
Passenger

Hum... Do you have contacted the original authors for information?

Mon 29. Dec 2014, 22:10
Profile WWW
Contributor

ornicar wrote:
Hum... Do you have contacted the original authors for information?

He contacted multiple times but they answered like 1-2 times!

Tue 30. Dec 2014, 09:21
Profile WWW
Passenger

I can understand them. Once they say "OK you guys can do it", we should avoind contacting them too much.
This game was released 30 years ago, they certainly may want to think about something else, dont you agree?

We, as a team, can find the answers or "create" answers to most of the questions.
For example, if you want, I took notes about the algorythm to calculate the output of mining. It depends of the following factors: 1) time since opening of the mine 2) mining tools and staff 3) it seems that the available space in tenders has no influence except limiting the output.
I am working on a calculated formula including all elements. For now I think that the type of output (lignite or anthracite) has an impact.

Wed 31. Dec 2014, 00:10
Profile WWW
Contributor

ornicar wrote:
I can understand them. Once they say "OK you guys can do it", we should avoind contacting them too much.
This game was released 30 years ago, they certainly may want to think about something else, dont you agree?

We, as a team, can find the answers or "create" answers to most of the questions.
For example, if you want, I took notes about the algorythm to calculate the output of mining. It depends of the following factors: 1) time since opening of the mine 2) mining tools and staff 3) it seems that the available space in tenders has no influence except limiting the output.
I am working on a calculated formula including all elements. For now I think that the type of output (lignite or anthracite) has an impact.

Well our questions were not regarded for game mechanics as they could easily be solved. Our question were for the vehicles, graphics, events/missions (Aral lake whale feeding to open the bridge) and for the map.

Thu 1. Jan 2015, 17:09
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]