This project currently is waiting for a game developer with some time at hand. See this thread.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun 23. Sep 2018, 20:38

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ideas galore: additional Features 
Administrator

To be discussed:

This is regarding our milestone 2: Create the original game and add some small features:
I thought about a section on the website maybe like this:

You already know Transarctica by heart? On top of the original game these features are new:
  • zoomable Map
  • reduced loading times :D
  • better train management
  • outline of the viewable area around the train ('fog of war')
  • Tutorial
  • Pause Button in Train Fights(? - to be discussed!)

Is there anything that we should add?
Tzoli: What do you think about replacing the GUN in the personal wagon with a cat? :lol:

Mon 18. Mar 2013, 11:35
Profile WWW
Passenger

In my opinion when it's time to design the combat system, rather than trying to emulate the system from Transarctica it would be better to design a new, turn-based system from scratch.

Mon 18. Mar 2013, 23:06
Contributor

Stay with the gun but able to quit and save at Towns as well like in Libraries or Bars

Mon 18. Mar 2013, 23:08
Profile WWW
Administrator

HyrAyl wrote:
In my opinion when it's time to design the combat system, rather than trying to emulate the system from Transarctica it would be better to design a new, turn-based system from scratch.

Can you describe the system you have in your head? I would like to know more!
Also feel free to create a poll! :)

Tue 19. Mar 2013, 11:17
Profile WWW
Administrator

• Add a 'fog of war' for the whole map - (this was invented later by DUNE I think. Why should you see the whole map at once? We could make this one optional. So there is a classic Transarctica and a Advanced Transarctica. Maybe also a list of options from which the user can choose what he wants.
  • Passanger transport - In the 'story-towns' you find some people willing to pay for a secure travel to another town. Maybe we should put 3 random towns in each of them and the passangers will be regenerated over time

Wed 20. Mar 2013, 11:22
Profile WWW
Contributor

[konemaster] I'm terribly sorry I accidentally edited the post instead of replying. Those two buttons are too small and in close proximity. :cry:

Basically Tzoli said that there is a fog of war but you can just not see it and that you have a map.

Wed 20. Mar 2013, 11:51
Profile WWW
Administrator

Tzoli wrote:
You can see the map because you have map!

But why should you have a map in the first place? :)
Make it more interesting... drop the map! :D

Wed 20. Mar 2013, 12:26
Profile WWW
Contributor

konemaster wrote:
Tzoli wrote:
You can see the map because you have map!

But why should you have a map in the first place? :)
Make it more interesting... drop the map! :D

If you remember, Transarctica was the Largest Viking Union Train until we stole it so it was loaded with basic Viking Union Stuff! Maps town list etc

Wed 20. Mar 2013, 12:39
Profile WWW
Administrator

TZoli wrote:
If you remember, Transarctica was the Largest Viking Union Train until we stole it so it was loaded with basic Viking Union Stuff! Maps town list etc

Yes, yes you are right. :)

Wed 20. Mar 2013, 12:42
Profile WWW
Passenger

About the Fog Of War: Dune 2 actually came out before Transarctica. I agree with the idea of having the map always visible, but the enemy trains should only be visible in a limited area around the Transarctica, which is pretty much the way it was in the original. It might even be interesting to add as new features a way to upgrade the Transarctica's radar to see further, but that's only after we have the basics set up.

About the combat system: the most common criticism that i have seen about the orginal Transarctica is that the battles tend to last forever and can be very boring. I think this can be at least mitigated if we introduce a turn-based combat system modeled after the Heroes of Might and Magic series (a relatively small battlefield divided in squares, a set number of units during the fight etc), and the possibility of ending the combat by trying to escape when the situation is lost. I'll write more about my idea later, but keep in mind these are just my thoughts and i don't have anthing concrete planned...

Wed 20. Mar 2013, 13:03
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next