This project currently is waiting for a game developer with some time at hand. See this thread.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon 21. May 2018, 10:51

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Observation Help 
Contributor

Yesterday together with Gridranger we discovered that while the savegame did not save the exact location of the Viking trains (or not in the same way as the Transarctica train), we discovered that the Viking Union trains seems to either travel along a certain path or maybe even using some kind of AI. They also did not effected by the switch settings.

Now I could use the help of people to run tests on the original Transarctica game and write down what kind of paths the various Viking Union trains follow.
To do this you need to enter the map screen and press ctrl-alt left click on the lower left corner. This is a cheat which shows the mammoth hordes, wolf packs, Nomads and enemy trains on the map in this colour code:
Yellow - Enemy Trains
Black - Wolf Pack
Red - Nomads
Green - Mammoth Herd

I've discovered that every Viking Union train starts from one of the Viking Stations and a new train starts every 4 days.
The 3 Viking Union Stations are as follows:
Madrid Station - Western one
Medina Station - Southern one
Orsk Station - North-Eastern one

It is also likely that the difficulty settings affects the trains and their paths.

For example at difficulty setting 1, the first Viking union train made this path in around 6-8 days:
Start at Madrid Station eastern exit - travelled to the Istanbul tunnel - Delhi - Himalayas rail line till the track ended - Delhi - Bhopal - passed Oman service station then changed course and entered the station - Kuwait - Abu Dhabi - either Bhopal or Delhi again (I did not checked because the 2nd and 3rd train emerged by this time)
On the map this was how it looked like:
http://i.imgur.com/EO1cLs4.png

You can use these maps to even draw the path the trains took if you like:
starting map:
http://i.imgur.com/QMkFW8y.png
full map with names:
http://i.imgur.com/fBPsKwa.png
It is advised to use colour coded lines.

making saves every once in a while (4 days for example) could make these observations somewhat easier.

Thu 10. Dec 2015, 12:37
Profile WWW
Contributor

Observed again the first Viking train on difficult 1 and I've hoped it follow either the same path as above or an entirely different one. I've guess wrong as it did follow part of the above part and part a different one!

Until the Gycode tunnel it was the same path:
Madrid Station - Balkan tunnel - Arabic Tunnel - Delhi - Gycode Tunnel entrance.
But after this things got changed:
Gycode Tunnel entrance - diagonal rail section east of Delhi, then turned back halfway on that diagonal part - Gycode Tunnel Enterance - Delhi - Arabic Tunnel - Balkan Tunnel - Route to Rome but tuned back before arriving Rome - Balkan Tunnel - Arabic Tunnel - Bhopal - Delhi - Gycode Tunnel Enterance.

This was done in a 5-6 day timeframe!

I'm not so sure the Viking Union trains travel among a certain path but using AI!
Or there could be different paths which crosses each other and the train decides where to go if arriving to one cross (Switch). This describes the alternative path of the above posted train but did not describes why did the train changed course on plain track lines!

Mon 14. Dec 2015, 10:07
Profile WWW
Administrator

I too, had the feeling that the enemy train control is based on very easy rules, not being predetermined.

Maybe those trains try to keep a minimum of 'enemy presence' in each part of the world.
When one of the 'four quadrants' (?) seems low on enemy trains, the next train which is making a decision will try to reach that part.

But this is too difficult maybe, I guess its even more easy...

Mon 14. Dec 2015, 11:51
Profile WWW
Contributor

konemaster wrote:
When one of the 'four quadrants' (?) seems low on enemy trains, the next train which is making a decision will try to reach that part.

I've doubt that, there are only 3 Viking union Stations on the map (though does not mean it wasn't more in the beta) and why would the westernmost station send train to the south easternmost quadrant when there are 2 stations in closer proximity?

Mon 14. Dec 2015, 18:07
Profile WWW
Passenger

I wonder is this is not just random...

Thu 17. Dec 2015, 08:13
Profile WWW
Contributor

That is why we need more observers to determine if there is any logic to the paths

Thu 17. Dec 2015, 09:54
Profile WWW
Passenger

I will do that. Please just wait until friday and I'll be in holliday !

Thu 17. Dec 2015, 10:58
Profile WWW
Administrator

ornicar wrote:
I will do that. Please just wait until friday and I'll be in holliday !

Thank you! :D

I guess it's not truly random.
Because:
Random behaviour in non-randomized maps seems to concentrate the objects in one or two places after a while.
If you had a loop of tracks on the map and you can only exit it when you go four times left (all others are leading back to the loop) then the trains would get stuck there pretty fast: no more trains in the rest of the world.

Thu 17. Dec 2015, 11:49
Profile WWW
Passenger

I'll also try to look for another information : does a viking train disappear after a certain time, or does it last until destroyed?

Thu 17. Dec 2015, 12:23
Profile WWW
Administrator

ornicar wrote:
I'll also try to look for another information : does a viking train disappear after a certain time, or does it last until destroyed?

Of course - that could be it!
If you let them start and end them after some while and start new trains you don't need any real AI you can do the decision at a switch random.
Even if the trains get stuck somewhere this won't be for long...

Thu 17. Dec 2015, 12:35
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next